Thursday, April 8, 2010

Simple French :: Sole Meuniere



I've been wanting to make Sole Meuniere ever since reading Julia Child's "My Life in Paris" this summer.  But somehow, it's one of those recipes I looked up, and then set aside. ...What a mistake!  

I will warn you, you will become seriously addicted to slightly browned, lemoney butter 
and you'll never want to eat fish any other way.  

And the fact this only takes a few minutes to prepare, makes it the perfect dish.  I served it with slightly sauteed, garlicky greenbeans, and a side of crisp potatoes (boiled, then quickly pan fried with a bit of butter and plenty of kosher salt).  Weeknight dinners here at 337 will never be the same.

Enjoy!



SOLE MEUNIERE
Fillets of fresh Sole (I used lemon sole, you can also get grey sole, about 4 ounces/person)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Kosher salt
Pepper
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Pat dry the fillets of fish.  Dust with salt and pepper.  Place the flour on a plate and dip the fillets in the flour.  Make sure they are evenly covered in flour.

In a non-stick pan over medium heat add half of the butter.  When the butter is bubbling, add the fish.  Allow it to cook about 3 minutes on each side, being careful when you flip over to not break up the fillet.  When the fish is cooked up both sides (slightly browned), remove from the pan and place on a tray.  Add the remaining butter to the pan with the chopped parsley, and lemon juice.  Quickly mix and add the butter-lemon sauce atop the fish.  Enjoy immediately.





11 comments:

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

This looks delicious, and not too challenging!

Silver Strands said...

Mmmmmm! Looks and sounds SO yummy! I'm a big fish eater - spent 12 years in Alaska, so when I find a good fish recipe I'm thrilled!

Thanks for sharing :)

Linda Z said...

Oh, that looks so simple and delicious! Do you think it would work well with tilapia, too?

337 Greenwich said...

Hi all - thank you for your comments! Definately an easy weeknight meal!

Linda: I don't i see why not! The flavor may be slightly different, but I think tilapia would be a good replacement because of it's mildness. Just make sure you get fillets on the thicker side so that it doesn't crumble with the flipping. Let me know how it turns out!

the southern hostess said...

This sounds/looks delightful! I just started My Life in Paris. It's so wonderful, isn't it?

337 Greenwich said...

Thanks SoHo! :-) Yes.... it's a wonderful book. How I wish the entire Julie/Julia movie had just been on Julia's Paris!

Jessica said...

It looks so easy and delicious. This is making it to my todo list of recipes!

jessyburke88@gmail.com

Jesa said...

Oh yummmm!!! I'm such a foodie :)
stumbled on your blog-really lovely :)

cheers, Jesa

chloé said...

This looks heavenly! And I am reading that book as soon as I can get my hands on it.

City Girl (EC1) said...

Wow, this looks amazing! Thank you for the recipe too. I loved Julie & Julia! :) Your blog is wonderful, I love the layout, recipes, pics and NYC! Can't wait to keep reading, City Girl x
http://citygirldiariesec1.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

yum looks delish :)

x
nicole
http://nicolefranzen.blogspot.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails