Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Finally Spring :: Fresh Beet Carpaccio


I have been quite a lazy cook lately!  A. has been away for work for the last couple of weeks, so I have been on our own.  I have stayed up way past a reasonable bedtime (and been so sleepy the next day!), watched more girly movies than I care to admit, and lived on a dinner diet of granola bars, pasta with spinach, and plenty of eggos.  I really had forgotten how lazy I become when I'm cooking for myself! 

But  A. is finally back home, yay!  And I was excited to get back to the kitchen this weekend.  I tried lots of new recipes, but this was our favorite: a delicious beet carpaccio!  Fresh beets, drizzled in olive oil and lemon juice, and topped with pistachios.  The thinly sliced raw beets are deliciously crispy and refreshing.  It's a delicious alternative to the usual roasted beet salad, and just feels like spring!

So simple and easy... I probably should have been eating this last week! :-)

Enjoy!

BEET CARPACCIO (serves 2)
2 large beets, washed and peeled
Olive Oil
Kosher Salt
Squeeze of Lemon
1/3 cup pistachios, shelled

Time to bust out the mandolin!  Set your mandolin on the thinnest setting, and slice the beets.  You want the slices to be almost paper-thin.  Place the beet slices in a bowl and toss with a bit of olive oil (about a tablespoon), a sprinkle of kosher salt, and a squeeze of lemon juice.  Let the beets sit for a few minutes. 

Separately, chop the peeled pistachio nuts.

To plate, place the beet slices on a plate, drizzle with the leftover oil and lemon juice from the bowl, and top with the chopped pistachios.   You can add crumbled goat cheese to make this a main meal.


6 comments:

Lady Grey said...

this is lush! Oh the colours!

hannah queen | honey & jam said...

that looks ridiculously delicious.

337 Greenwich said...

thanks all!! you really must try, it's delicious!

Ash said...

I don't know why, but I've been dying to make something with beets!! Love this!

Unknown said...

Yum! I want to eat this now :)

Unknown said...

Do you cook the beet first?

Related Posts with Thumbnails