Sunday, August 9, 2009

Heirloom Greens :: Green Tomato Gazpacho





Whenever I hear 'green tomatoes' I of course think of Fried Green Tomatoes... not because I've had them often, but more because of the movie.  So when we got these summery treats in our CSA share this week I tried to think of another use for them.

Last summer I was obsessed with gazpacho, I made it once a week. It's such a perfect summer food, and very easy to make.  Everything goes into a food processor and then chills...that's it.  I like to serve it with grilled Gruyere sandwiches.  

But I have yet to make it this summer... so I decided to come up with a green tomato gazpacho! 

The taste of green tomatoes is far tangier and bitter than that of sweet red tomatoes, especially in the summer (imagine a granny smith apple vs a sweet red apple).  So I modified my red gazpacho recipe by adding less vinegar, less onions, no garlic, introducing a bit of mustard, and finally adding sparkling white wine to cut the acidity.

After a few tries, and playing with quantities...It came out delicious! Hope you enjoy!

GREEN TOMATO GAZPACHO
1.5 lbs green tomatoes
2 peeled cucumbers
2 peppers (any color - but I used light green and yellow so that they would blend into the soup)
1/4 of a white onion (medium sized)
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup Prosecco (or any other dry white wine)
1/2 tbsp grain mustard
1/2 tbsp sugar
Salt and pepper to taste (I used kosher salt)
Dash of cumin (if you like the smokiness of cumin - optional)

All ingredients go into a food processor and start chopping. I only have a mini-prep food processor (remember: NYC apartment!) so I do it in batches, each vegetable at a time and add all ingredients to a large serving bowl.  Then I season while in the bowl.  I don't like my gazpacho chunky because when it is, I feel that I am eating salsa, so I process until I have a smooth liquid consistency.  Taste as you are adding your seasonings.  Feel free to add more olive oil, vinegar, wine, salt and pepper to taste.

Chill for at least an hour. Serve with crusty bread.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails