Wednesday, February 24, 2010

One Pot Meals :: Healthy Turkey Chili




Maybe it's the fact that spring is officially a month away, or the one too many tea cookies I ate last week, or maybe it's all the Olympics A. and I have been watching (snowboard cross is my new obsession!).... but, this week, I've been craving healthier foods.  

So, I was excited to find this deliciously tempting  7 day detox from Self Magazine.  Detox?  Sounds a little extreme, but I think it's just what I'm craving: a transition from rich winter foods into lighter spring meals.  It's one week of whole grains, plenty of fiber, and lean meats.  And, it actually sounds delicious!

So, I printed out a week's worth of menus, convinced A. to join in, went on a little grocery trip to stock up, and we officially started this morning!

So far so good.  Yogurt and cereal for breakfast (I had Iggy's non-fat yogurt and Kashi high fiber), and a toasted whole wheat pita with hummus, spinach and tomato for lunch.  Yum!   For dinner I decided to make a large pot of turkey chili. 

It was delicious!  Plenty of veggies, healthy beans, and low fat turkey, all in a hearty broth! It's so easy to make, you really can't go wrong.   Saute the veggies and turkey, add the spices, then add the tomatoes, and beans.  That's pretty much it!  I freshened up the flavors with a bit of cilantro and topped it with non-fat sour cream and avocado.  Healthy and filling! ...and perfect on a rainy winter night.

Oh ps: I do have one confession to make: I drank coffee.  Ooops.  But there's really no way I can function without coffee. 

Enjoy.



HEALTHY TURKEY CHILI (adapted from Gourmet)
2 medium onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 lb ground lean Turkey, seasoned with salt
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin 
1 tablespoon chopped Cilantro
2 Bell Peppers, roughly chopped (I used one yellow, one red)
1 Jalapeno Pepper, seeded & chopped
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 chili peppers in adobo, chopped
1 can organic kidney beans 
1 can organic pinto beans
1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes
1/2 cup water
Salt,  and Olive Oil

Over medium-high heat, in a large pot sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add the onions. When the onions start to brown, add the garlic and saute quickly.  Add the ground turkey, chili powder, and cumin.  Stir with a wooden spoon to break down the turkey into small pieces and mix with the onions and garlic.



When the turkey starts to brown, add the bell and jalapeno peppers.  Cook for about a minute, then lower the heat and add the remaining ingredients.  Add the cilantro, and taste for salt and spiciness, you can add more chili powder of chilies in adobo for more heat. 

Continue to simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes until the chili thickens. 

Serve with a dollop of non-fat sour cream and slices of avocado.



6 comments:

Super Burbs said...

Yum! I am in need a delicious tasting detoxish recipes - this is perfect:)

the southern hostess said...

This looks like a bowl of yum.

Linda Z said...

I made some last night in my Le Creuset, and it was delicious! :)

I'm excited to make a whole bunch more of your recipes... your blog inspired me! :)

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

Sounds delicious!

337 Greenwich said...

Thanks ladies!

337 Greenwich said...

Hi Linda - welcome to the blog! I'm so excited you liked the chili! Let me know what else you try, I'd love to hear about it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails