Wednesday, July 22, 2009

5 Days of Lunch :: Spanish Tortilla

We have dozens of farm-fresh, organic eggs from our CSA share this week!  

I love eggs... scrambled, hard-boiled, fried, soft-boiled, or baked.   Baked eggs (in a quiche or frittata) store nicely in the fridge and can be easily reheated the next day.  A veggie frittata or quiche stays fresh about 3 days.  So what better recipe to make for dinner, and have lunch the next day than the Spanish Tortilla. 

DAY 2: SPANISH TORTILLA
I'd never made a Spanish tortilla before... but figured it couldn't be all that different from a frittata (which I make all the time as a way to use up leftover veggies, meats or cheeses on a Sunday morning).  



8 eggs beaten (I like to limit the amount of yolks usually using a 1:2 ratio - but here I feel the yolks are necessary, so I used 6 of the yolks)
2 tbsp milk
2 red potatoes thinly sliced (finally! a chance to use my new mandolin)
1 large white onion
plenty of olive oil

I used these instructions from the NY Times and topped with sliced tomatoes, a little ricotta, and basil.  

We ate half the tortilla, and saved the rest for the next day. I paired mine with an heirloom tomato salad and took to work.  A. ate his slice for breakfast :-) ...it's actually got me thinking about making muffin-cup size frittatas and storing as a quick 'on the go' breakfast. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails