Monday, July 20, 2009

5 days of Lunch :: Tomato & Cilantro Tuna Salad

Happy Monday!  Soooo... over the weekend I decided to extend my cooking to lunchtime (during the week lunchtime!). 
I try to cook with local, seasonal, organic ingredients as much as possible at home, but then I get to the office, lunch comes around and it all goes downhill.
 
I'm out to prove that packing lunch for work can be easy, more exciting than a peanut butter sandwich (although I do love a good PB&J!), and healthy.
 
It just requires a little planning ahead.  Here's the plan:
- Coming up with a different lunch dish every day
- Nothing that requires more than 5 minutes of prep time in the morning
- Include  fresh, seasonal ingedients in each meal


Day 1: TOMATO & CILATRO TUNA SALAD
8 oz can of Low Sodium Albacore Tuna in water
1/2 large tomato chopped
Roughly a tablespoon of cilatro leaves (a few sprigs)
Tablespoon of mayo (*if you don't like mayo, skip this step and add a bit more olive oil) 
Teaspoon of mustard
Juice of 1/2 a lime
Drizzle of olive oil
Salt and peper to taste
 
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, and pack up! I paired with Carrs water crackers. 
 
TIP: Part of the hassle of taking lunch to work is: where do you put it? Getting good containers is key. I love Japanese bento boxes! The compartments are perfect for seprating your ingredients so that your not stuck with a mushy mess at noon. The one in the picture I picked up on a trip to Tokyo, but Amazon has a good selection.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails