Monday, July 13, 2009

Dinner with a view: Lamb Kebabs


It's Monday night and I decided to make a lamb kebab picnic for two to take up to our rooftop and enjoy the breezy summer evening!  

I had ordered lamb kebab pieces from Fresh Direct (un-marinated, vacuum packed) and left them out to defrost in the morning.  I made Indian spice inspired kebabs, and paired with a simple lettuce (from this weeks CSA share!), feta, and cucumber salad; and a side of babaganoush with toasted pita bread slices.

It was delicious...and very simple! 

I placed everything on a large wooden tray (bamboo wood from whole foods) which made for easy cleanup.

LAMB KEBABS (adapted from Bon Appetit)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons vinegar
Juice of one Lime
2 large garlic clove, minced
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pound lamb shoulder, trimmed into 1-inch pieces (I used Lamb Kebab pieces from Fresh Direct)
4 bamboo skewers, soaked in water a few minutes
1 onion chopped into large 1 inch pieces

Mix all seasonings in a bowl and whisk.  Add lamb pieces and marinate for 30 minutes.Place pieces on bamboo skewers with slices of onions between chunks of lamb. Heat stovetop grill to medium-high (I love my red Le Creuset Griddle!). Brush lightly with olive oil.  

When heated, place the skewers on the griddle. Rotate every couple of minutes and cook to your desired taste... I choose medium. The lamb will continue to cook when you remove from the griddle and since we still needed to make our way to the roof and I didn't want to overcook.

For the salad: I roughly chopped the lettuce, added a few slices of feta cheese, and cucumbers. Seasoned with Olive Oil, salt and pepper.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails